Tool making: from standard tools to multi-component tools
PAYER stands for competence in mold and tool making. For decades, our customers worldwide appreciate the expertise and innovative strength of our experts in development and assembly.
Tool making at our site in Hungary spans 1,000 square metres of floor space and is equipped with state-of-the-art machinery. This guarantees high precision and prime quality – from standard tools to complex multi-component tools. Our portfolio comprises injection molds for the processing of thermoplastic synthetics, metal die casting tools as well as metal punching tools. In total, PAYER features a capacity of up to 200 tools per year delivering the majority to our customers in Europe.
Ideal solutions in terms of technology, quality and costs
The conception and planning of tools are supported by a simulation software and their producibility is optimized (Design for Manufacturing) before the initial sampling with the initial sample inspection report (ISIR). Once the process capability proof is rendered, the qualification follows supported by a appropriate risk management (tool FMEA).
- Computer aides tool design 2D/3D and injection molding simulation
- Multi-cavity tools including hot runner system with valve gate
- Multi component tools (rotary table, index plate and turn-over tools)
- Precision tools
- Tools for optic parts, optical fibre parts etc. (PC, PMMA, …)
- In-mold decoration tools (IMD)
- Metal compound tools
- Metal die casting tools
- In-house mould sampling with injection molding machines
- Metal Injection Molding (MIM)
- Particular surface treatments through coating, etching, laser engraving etc.
- Punching, bending and compound tools
- Prototyping tools
- Tools for medical technology
- Maximum size of die plates: 1000 x 1000 mm
- Tool weight: max. 4 tons
PROTOTYPING - rapid tooling as our core competence
Important first steps
Producing prototypes is an important part of the production process and is central in our philosophy for realizing product ideas. A prototype gives an idea it's first optic, haptic and functional qualities of the future product.
The PAYER research and development department works hand in hand with our mold and tool making experts. The primary objective is to create prototypes in a quick and efficient way to match a product's form and function. The gained insights and knowledge are used in the design process to allow cost-effective realization of the serial tool.
Our portfolio includes:
- 3D printed prototypes for haptic and optic design evaluation
- Geometric prototypes / mock-ups for lining tests
- Functional prototypes to test functions close to production
Our customers can see their product realizations through 3D prints, vacuum casts and our rapid tooling program. Hence, the required samples are available at every stage of the development process.
Rapid tooling program
The rapid tooling program stands for the development and manufacturing of injection molding tools. In the course of that, we offer single item production and small series production on two levels:
3D printed injection molding tools
PAYER offers an enhanced prototyping program – from the first geometric prototype up to fully functional assembly. Our 3D printed tools are unique:
- Prompt availability of the parts
- Use of the original plastics
- Cost advantage compared to steel or aluminium tools
» Optimum solution for up to 50 parts
» Sophisticated prototypes in up to 5 working days
Steel tools - the bridge between prototypes and series parts
The tools are milled from unhardened steel (up to 44HRC). Additional welding, milling or grinding enables simple product modifications and part optimisations to be carried out. These production tools almost correspond with series production tools and due to that, high quality parts can be used in tests or samples with these production tools.
Designed to produce more than 1000 pieces, the tool can provide parts that are needed during serial tool production, industrialisation phase and the finishing phase.
» Cost effective solution from 10 to 1000 parts
» Sophisticated prototypes in up to 10 working days
We also offer:
- Mold flow analysis
- Sampling and initial sample test report
- Process capability analysis
- 2K parts
- Surface treatment e.g. paint finishing
- Materials: thermoplastics
- Surface: milled or sand blasted as standard or eroded, etched or polished on customers request
- Constant possibility for modifications
- Up to 3 tools per week
- Possibility of undercuts
- Part size up to 220x220 mm
- Inserts made of steel